The Law Society Compensation Fund (“the Fund”) is administered by the Council of the Law Society (“Council”).
You can make a claim for a grant if you can show that:
- You suffered a loss
- The loss was caused by the dishonesty of a lawyer in his practice and/or when he was a trustee of any trust in Singapore
OR The loss was the result of the dishonesty of the lawyer’s staff
OR The loss was caused by any officer or employee of a law corporation in connection with legal services performed by the law corporation.
AND You have exhausted all civil remedies in law for the loss caused to you.
The Fund cannot compensate for loss caused by:-
- the lawyer not acting in his professional capacity. For example, loss of a personal loan advanced to the lawyer or loss suffered as a result of a business venture with the lawyer; or
- by his staff not acting in the course of employment; or
- the professional negligence or malpractice of your lawyer ; or
- your own dishonest acts, negligence, omission or delay.
Requirements for grant
- You must submit your application within 6 months of knowledge of your loss. The Council may consider applications after the 6 months if there are good reasons leading to the delay.
- You must further assist the Law Society and/or the Police in its investigations if any, in respect of the dishonesty of the lawyer or his staff.
Process for claims for grant
Your application will be referred to the Law Society’s Compensation Fund Committee (the Committee) for consideration. The Committee will make its recommendation to the Council who will decide on the outcome of the application.
- You must provide particulars of your loss with relevant documentary proof.
- You may also be required to provide a Statutory Declaration.
Please download the Compensation Fund Application form here.
The application form is to be accompanied by additional sheet(s) entitled “Schedule of Particulars” with particulars of your claim in support of your application. You may in a cover letter describe the hardship you face as a result of the loss suffered
Completed forms must be sent by post or by hand to the Law Society for the attention of Director, Conduct.