- Meet all requirements of being a qualified person as defined in the Legal Profession Act read together with the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) Rules and
- Fulfil the other admission requirements set out in Sections 12 and 13 of the Legal Profession Act read together with the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 2011:
- Have attained the age of 21 years;
- Be of good character;
- Have satisfactorily served the practice training period applicable to you (please refer to Rules 14-23 of the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 2011;
- Have attended and satisfactorily completed such courses of instruction as the Board of Directors of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE) may prescribe under section 10 (please refer to Rule 3 of the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules; and
- Pass such examinations as the Board of Directors of SILE may prescribe under section 10 (please refer to Rule 4 and 5 of the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 20110.
Please refer to the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (“SILE”) for information on the “qualified persons” and admission requirements, degree and university requirements, Part A and Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations, relevant training and/ or work, the practice training period, the admissions/ call procedure, and the Foreign Practitioner Examinations (“FPE”).
The Law Society does not prescribe the qualifications as its role is to assess fitness and suitability of the applicant for admission as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore after the application for admission has been filed in the Supreme Court of Singapore.
To assist supervising solicitors and practice trainees in addressing issues frequently arising from applications for admission as advocates and solicitors, the Admissions Committee of the Law Society has prepared a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
To assist applicants who intend to file their affidavit for call to the Singapore Bar, we have also prepared a checklist of common errors to look out for in preparing the call affidavit.