No. of Public CPD Points: 16.0
Practice Area: Civil Procedure
Training Level: Intermediate
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Law Society Trial Advocacy Course is designed for lawyers who have several years of experience in handling litigation matters and who are interested in further developing their advocacy and trial skills. This course provides a unique opportunity for litigation lawyers to receive personalised coaching to improve their advocacy and trial skills from Silks, Senior Counsels and senior litigation practitioners. The course is an intensive 2.5 day program which will require participants to prepare and perform as advocates in court handling interlocutory applications, opening and closing speeches as well as examination and cross examination of witnesses. The highlight of the workshop will be a mock trial that will be conducted by the participants in pairs on the final day of the course. The mock trial will involve examination and cross examination of witnesses as well as oral submissions. At the end of the mock trial, the presiding judge will deliver an extempore judgment and provide comments and feedback on the participants’ performance.
The teaching methodology used is the NITA methodology which is now widely accepted in numerous jurisdictions as an effective and the preferred method for teaching advocacy. Participants will over the course of 2.5 days perform as advocates with each performance critiqued by members of the faculty with a view to providing individualized feedback to each participant on how their performances could be improved or enhanced. Each performance will also be recorded on video and reviewed individually with each participant with a view to improving matters of style and delivery.
- Gerhard Naudé, SC – Barrister, Pretoria Society of Advocates
- Bruce McTaggart, SC – Barrister, Malthouse Chambers
- Rudi van Rooyen SC – Barrister, 1310 Huguenot Chambers
- Ira Biswas – Senior Partner, Chooi & Company + Cheang & Ariff
- Alex Nandaseri De Silva – Senior Partner, Messrs Bodipalar Ponnudurai De Silva
- Anne Barnett – Barrister, Jeffcott Chambers
- Jonathan Ah-weng – Barrister, Parkside Chambers
- Narayanan Sreenivasan, SC – Managing Partner, K&L Gates Straits Law LLC
- Samuel Chacko – Director, Legis Point LLC
- Francis Goh – Partner, Eversheds Harry Elias LLP
- Joseph Liow – Partner, K&L Gates Straits Law LLC
- Chenthil Kumarasingam – Partner, Oon & Bazul LLP
- Michael S Chia – Managing Director, MSC Law Corporation
- Darrell Low – Partner, Yusarn Audrey
- Claire Devine - Voice Coach, Buds Theatre
For more information, please click here for the publicity brochure.
To register, please click here: https://www.lawsociety.org.sg/registration?id=TheLawSocietyTrialAdvocacyCourse2019.aspx