No. of Public CPD Points: 2.0
Practice Area: Corporate/Commercial
Training Level: General
ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
As the assets under management in Singapore continue to rise, jumping to 19% y-o-y to S$3.3 trillion in 2017, the recent introduction of the Variable Capital Company (the “VCC”) framework is a welcomed development in the fund industry. Whilst some may say it is long overdue, what is clear is that the VCC framework has brought much excitement to the fund industry as more and more fund managers express keen interest in using the VCC structure in their platforms.
However, consultations and discussions over the VCC framework have only been theoretical up until this stage and the extent of its impact remains to be seen. As much as this new corporate structure invokes excitement, one will also question whether it will live up to its hype and fulfil its stated objectives of encouraging fund domiciliation in Singapore and developing Singapore’s position as a fund management hub.
This seminar seeks to explore further into the VCC framework from a legal perspective by identifying its key features and benefits, highlighting its potential as an alternative vehicle for funds, and evaluating the impact that the VCC framework may have on the fund industry.
At the end of this session, participants of the seminar will understand:
- The common issues and challenges faced by fund managers when setting up a new fund
- The limitations of the existing fund structures in Singapore
- The key features of the VCC framework
- The benefits of adopting the VCC structure over existing fund structures in Singapore
- The overarching impact of the VCC framework on the funds industry
SPEAKERS AND PANELLISTS
- Paul Yuen – General Counsel (Legal Department), Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Danny Tan – Partner, Allen & Gledhill LLP
- Petrus Huang – Director, Drew & Napier LLC
- Low Kah Keong – Partner, WongPartnership LLP
- Yeoh Lian Chuan – Managing Director, Sabara Law LLC (a member of the Deloitte Legal network)
For more information, please click here for the publicity brochure.
To register, please click here: https://www.lawsociety.org.sg/registration?id=SeminarontheNewVariableCapitalCompaniesAct.aspx